Friday, September 23, 2016

"30 Days" - Starting the Drawing

In yesterday's post I talked a lot about where the idea for this large drawing came from. The jist is this - I am making a 22"x30" colored pencil drawing on black paper, which will feature 30 roses, each representing a consecutive day in a 30-day period. The rose's shape, openness, texture, colors, and connection to its surroundings will vary depending on the day - much as someone's mood, thoughts, health, and behaviors might change from day to day.

To make this drawing, I started by dividing the 22"x30" paper into a grid of 5 rows of 6. Then, I drew in outlines for the first six roses - the roses that will make up the top row.








Using these preliminary drawings, I then went in my Prismacolor pencils and started coloring in the petals and backgrounds, rose by rose. (More photos on those steps coming soon!)

This drawing is still in progress, but you can see slightly more up-to-date photos of my day by day progress on my Instagram if you are interested. (It takes a few days - or sometimes weeks - before I get my photos transferred to my computer, add my name & website info, and upload them to this blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment