Wednesday, August 23, 2017

"Class Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 4

This colored pencil drawing uses flower symbolism to represent the entire spectrum of social class from poverty to wealth and everything in between.

To read about capitalism and the growing disparity between the lower and upper classes, visit this blog post.

To read about the symbolism of each flower used in this bouquet, visit this blog post.

--

I've already finished the first layer of this bouquet on my 19x25" black Canson Mi-Teintes paper, putting down the light sketch and working out where all of the flowers will go. Now, it's time to start building up more color, detail, and dimension by working through each flower one-by-one.

I started with the yellow hibiscus in the upper left corner. I used seven colored pencils for this small group of tropical flowers - black, two shades of green, red, magenta, yellow, and cream.





Next, I finished up the pink hollyhock stalk, using a white colored pencil, pink, two shades of red, yellow, yellow-green, green, and black.






In between those first two flowers is a group of bells of Ireland. I used three shades of green for this interesting shaped plant, as well as a white colored pencil for highlights and a black colored pencil for shadows and to define edges.





To the right of the hollyhock, I worked on the sunflowers. I used three shades of green, yellow, cream, white, orange, brown, and black colored pencils to complete these cheery flowers.





Back on the left side of the bouquet, I used two shades of red colored pencils, pink, white, and two shades of green, to draw in the French honeysuckle plant.







For the the sixth flower - a group of dandelions - I used black, brown, orange, tan, yellow, white, and green pencils.





I'm now a quarter of the way done with this "building up layers of color" stage. Only 18 more flowers (and a vase) to complete, and another one of these bouquet drawings will be finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment