Friday, August 4, 2017

Michael's Custom Watercolor Bouquet Painting

I have a listing on Etsy (my most popular listing, actually), that offers a custom 8"x10" watercolor bouquet painting. You can order it there through the shop, send me a photograph of the bouquet you'd like a painting of, and in 2-3 weeks, your competed watercolor will be on the way to your doorstep. In the past, I've had mothers buy them for their recently married daughters and bridesmaids purchase them as gifts for their recent married friends - but the three I've done so far this summer were all ordered by husbands looking for a unique anniversary gift for their wives.

This custom bouquet was commissioned in May by Michael in the U.K. He requested that I make sure to include the single orange gerbera daisy in the final painting, since that flower had a special significance to his wife.

I started by tracing the outline of the bouquet lightly with pencil, and then adding some light washes to get down the general colors needed for the flowers and other parts of the painting.






Once that first layer was complete, I started to go in with more saturated color, adding in details.











Because there were a lot of white flowers in this bouquet, I stopped with the watercolor at this point. I didn't want to end up overworking it and muddying it up too much (which I often tend to do), so I switched to acrylic and lightened up some parts with white acrylic paint.

Watercolor is transparent (unless you have special opaque watercolors, which I don't - but I hear even those are not always 100% opaque), but acrylic is more opaque naturally, so it's easier to go in and add white on top with acrylic.




Here's the finished piece:







In a couple days I'll also be posting the final photos and "in progress" shots of the other two custom bouquet watercolors I did in May and June - so be sure to check back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment