Saturday, October 14, 2017

Getting Ready for an Exhibition

All of these large colored pencils I've been working on this year have been in preparation for an upcoming exhibition - a two-person show I'm installing in a community theater building with a friend from high school, which will be on display in their hallways for a month. (More information on the show specifics coming soon!)

It's a lot of work to prepare for an exhibition. There's completing the artwork, obviously (if it's not artwork that's already done) - but that's only a very small part of it. Once the drawings are finished, they need to be protected with spray fixative and matted and framed (which can get very expensive, especially for large or custom sized pieces).

Because I want to make notecards and art prints of my work, I also wanted to get my drawings scanned first before I had them framed. This involved calling around to local printing shops to see who had a large format scanner at least 22"x30" in size so I could digitally scan my largest pieces.

I also had to decide the retail price to assign each of my drawings, since they'll be for sale at the exhibition (and afterward, if they don't sell there). I compared the size of my drawings to watercolor paintings I'd completed in the past, and tried to price them similarly, but I also had to take into consideration the amount of time each piece takes, the cost of materials, and the cost of those expensive large frames. At the very least I need to recoup my costs; ideally, I'd maybe make a bit of profit. (A goal made even harder when you consider that every gallery skims a commission off the top if your piece sells at their venue - about 30-60% on average.)

This particular location also requires me to bring my own gallery tags, to be displayed next to each piece. Each tag needs to list my name, the title of the artwork, and the price. Most of the marketing is also up to the artist - meaning that it's my responsibility to drum up people's interest in coming to see the show. If the exhibition has an opening/reception to go along with it, that involves more planning. Deciding who is bringing the snacks and how much wine to provide, and making sure I have enough business cards to pass out at the reception.

Not to mention the act of actually getting all your artwork to the venue, and seeing it properly installed - and not damaging it in the process. I'll be taking a day off work to install my artwork the Monday before the exhibition begins, and another day off work to pick up whatever of my artwork doesn't sell, and transporting it back home.

All of this cost and time and effort is worth it, of course. It's a fun experience, it'll get my artwork greater exposure, it builds up my art CV, and it gives me an opportunity to maybe sell some of my drawings. I am grateful and excited to do this show.

But man, is it a lot of work. :)

2 comments:

  1. All of your drawings are beautiful! And I love the theme. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete