Friday, August 3, 2018

"Prophecy" Colored Pencil Drawing

You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

I recently finished "Prophecy" as a continuation of my symbolic floral colored pencil series. This 8"x10" Prismacolor colored pencil drawing is on Strathmore gray toned paper. The title "Prophecy" comes from one of the symbolic meanings of the heliotrope plant, which is the subject of the drawing.

In the first image, you can see the photograph I used for source material, as well as my colored pencils at the ready.



I started with a layer of white, drawing in all the small heliotrope flowers. (It took awhile.)





Then I lightly sketched in where some of the leaves and stems would go.




I then started adding the detail and dimensionality to the flower petals and leaves. I used dark purples for shadows and the flower stems, white and yellow for highlights, and just a touch of light purple mixed into the white for color on the petals.








Here's the finished drawing:





This was one of the more time consuming 8"x10" size drawings I've done lately because there was a lot of little detail work on the flowers. The drawing I completed next (titled "Loyalty" - blog post coming soon!) had a lot less small details and thus went a lot faster. :)

You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment