Saturday, November 24, 2018

Pattern Dakota in Red & Yellow

I recently created another set of three 5x7" patterned watercolor paintings to put together in a three-opening multi-frame - or rather, I painted two more watercolors to go with a third that I'd already painted two years ago.

The first new painting has a red and yellow color scheme, and uses Pattern Dakota, a design I created in Adobe Illustrator (like all of my pattern designs) and then traced onto watercolor paper. (The second new painting has a green and yellow color scheme - and is the subject of a future post.)

Here is Pattern Dakota, finished but still taped to my gatorboard while I'm waiting for it to dry. In the first picture, you can also see the pencil outline of the second watercolor I planned to work on next.







It's hard to show step-by-step photos of this type of painting, where the positive space of the pattern (rather than the negative space I usually do) is what is being painted. There aren't clear borders where I can stop, pick up my brush, and take a quick photo, because it's all connected. I have to work fast and keep the water flowing into the next part of the pattern, or potentially see water marks on the finished product where wet met dry during the drying process. So I wasn't able to take any "in progress" photos this time - but my next painting will have a couple. Check back soon for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment