Wednesday, April 10, 2019

"Dramatic Irony" 4x6 Watercolor Paintings

As I mentioned in my last post, I completed two recent sets of three 4"x6" watercolor paintings. The first was a "River Pebbles" theme, with an olive green, blue, and orange color scheme. The second set - and the subject of today's post - is titled "Dramatic Irony" and features a stark contrast of very dark violet against the crisp white of the unpainted watercolor paper.

The three designs used for this set were "Pattern Midori," "Pattern Villette," and "Pattern Silver." I used dark pink and violet paints mixed with black to achieve the color, and a thick application with less water to achieve the darkness.

Like the last set of three, I first taped them down onto the table to keep them flat while I painted. The patterns were designed in Adobe Illustrator, then printed out and traced in pencil onto watercolor paper.




Here are the first two paintings complete:





And the third and final "Dramatic Irony" painting, also finished:





When they were dry, I untaped them and prepared them to be framed.




For both of these sets, I had a black frame with a white mat ready to go. Each mat has three openings, to provide space for three paintings per frame. My next blog post will show photos of the finished, framed sets - but if you don't want to wait, you can also go to my Etsy shop, where "Dramatic Irony" is already listed here and ready for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment