Monday, July 29, 2019

"Justice" Colored Pencil Drawing

For my next colored pencil drawing, I picked black eyed susans, which symbolize justice. I used Prismacolor pencils and Strathmore black paper for my materials.

I started by drawing the yellow petals and green stems of the flowers to get them all in place.







Then once I had my light sketch complete, I started going through and adding dimension to the flowers. I used pumpkin orange and black colored pencils for the shadows and centers of the black eyed susans, and white colored pencil (blended with yellow) for the brightest yellow parts of the petals.









Because the star of black eyed susans really are the yellow petals (and black centers), I left the stems less dimensional, letting them fade into the black paper a little bit. But I did lighten them up a little, so the flowers had something to anchor them compositionally.




Here are some close-ups of the final, completed drawing:






I added a white mat, and listed the drawing for sale on my Etsy page. You can find the listing here.





No comments:

Post a Comment