Friday, January 31, 2020

Nursery Art: 22x30 J.K. Rowling Quotation Watercolor Finished

Last week's blog post showed the first few steps of this watercolor-in-progress - stretching the paper, putting down the first wash of color, and painting the pattern in the background. Today's post will show the last steps: painting the letters of the quotation.

I used a mix of dark green and black pigment for the letters because I wanted something really dark, so that it would easily stand out from the busy background.

Here is the painting with half of the letters finished (you can see how the paint on the word "born" is still wet):





And here is the finished painting (with the paint on the word "grow" still wet in the second picture):





I was so happy with how the painting turned out! Once the painting was dry, I unstapled it from the gatorboard, trimmed off the edges with staple holes, and fitted it into a custom frame I purchased.

Below is a photo of the finished painting, leaning against our yellow nursery wall, ready to be hung up (plus a sneak peak of the second quotation painting I did - which I'll show in-progress photos of in next week's post)!



No comments:

Post a Comment