Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Nursery Art: Three 8x10 Woodland Animal Paintings in Progress

As I was putting together our baby registry, I found a lot of great woodland themed items that I wanted for our nursery - a Harry Potter owl crib mobile, an owl humidifier, a fox night light, etc. So I decided our nursery would have a "light" woodland theme - among the yellow ombre wall stripes and the green somewhat-floral area rug and the wood colored furniture, there would be just hints of woodland creatures among the decor as well.

There was a space on one of the walls that was just screaming for a bit of (small) artwork - a space between the window and the closet that was just the perfect amount of room for a few 8"x10" paintings. So I found some cartoonish owls and a fox that I liked, traced those designs onto watercolor paper, and made them my own!

Below are the three paintings in progress, taped down in the order I planned to eventually hang them on the wall - with one owl on either end, and the fox in the middle. I worked on all three paintings concurrently.

I started with some lighter colors first - the pale yellow and pale orange areas, as well as the green of the far right owl's eyes. I selected areas that weren't touching, so that the paint wouldn't bleed into the next section while they dried.




I used a wet-on-wet technique to blend a sort of ombre effect on the first owl's wings, as well as to add texture to all three paintings (though especially the fox and the owl with the green eyes). I painted a section, waited a couple minutes for it to partially dry, and then, while it was still somewhat wet, used a wet brush to dot the pigment, which left behind white circles when it dried.






Once those areas were dry, I started adding more details to the already dry areas (such as some dry-on-wet brushstrokes on the owl's feathers), as well as working on adjacent areas. I painted the owls' bellies, beaks, and pupils, using shades of orange and brown to match the rest of our nursery decor. I also painted the paler orange areas of the fox - the belly and little blushing cheeks.

I used the same wet-on-wet technique I used in the first round to add texture to the bellies of all three animals.







There was only a bit left to do - the head and body of the first owl and the head of the second owl (both of which would be a darker brown), the head and tail of the fox (which would be a darker orange-red), and the dark black pupils of the fox. I did all of these in the third round through the paintings.

Check back next week to see how I finished off these cute little creatures, as well as to see how they looked framed and hanging in our nursery!

No comments:

Post a Comment