Sunday, July 12, 2020

"Roasted Marshmallows" 4x6 Watercolor Paintings

This set of three 4"x6" watercolor paintings is called "Roasted Marshmallows" for its color scheme - from the light yellows and oranges of gently roasted marshmallows to the darker browns and blacks marshmallows turn when people like me purposefully put their marshmallows in the bonfire too long, let them catch fire and char, and then blow out the flame like a birthday candle. :)

I started by tracing patterns onto watercolor paper, then taping down the paper so it would stay flat while I painted.




I wanted the color scheme to be somewhat symmetrical, with the darkest painting in the middle. So I used lighter browns and yellows for the first painting.







For the middle painting, I used a medium brown mixed with black pigment.







Finally, for the third painting I went back to a lighter color scheme (though not quite as light as the first one). This painting also has a bit of light orange mixed in with the yellow, instead of brown.






Here is the finished set of three watercolors:





I framed the paintings in a single frame with a mat with three openings for three 4"x6" paintings. Because the fronts are unsigned, these abstract paintings can be hung in any direction, horizontally or vertically.






No comments:

Post a Comment