Saturday, September 16, 2017

"Ability Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 2

This drawing uses flowers to symbolize the wide variety of different physical, emotional, and mental abilities humans might have, as a way to show how we are better and stronger together when we are willing to help each other out.

To read about "the ability umbrella" - what exactly I mean when I talk about differences in ability - please visit this blog post.

To read about the symbolism of each flower used in this bouquet drawing, visit this blog post.

**

Like my other drawings in this "Stronger Together" series, I used black Canson Mi-Teintes paper and Prismacolor brand pencils. Once I had my composition planned on newsprint, I lightly sketched in each flower on the black paper.

I started with the pink dahlia, somewhat in the top-center of the drawing.





Next to the dahlia, I added little yellow crocus buds and a clump of hen and chick succulents:





Some wilted pink anemones went in next:





Followed by some flannel flowers:





These pink tulip buds are in the top left of the bouquet:




On the other side, I sketched in some acanthus, with yellowing stems and leaves to signify a bit of aging:





The large aloe plant went in next:





Underneath the pink dahlia, I added a clump of browning lady's mantle and a bunch of wilting white roses:






The eleventh and twelfth flowers I drew in were these purplish blue hellebore and pink geraniums:






Here is the initial layer, halfway complete:




My next blog post will finish up this initial sketch of the last twelve flowers. Then, once all of the flowers are in place, I'll go through with more colored pencils and add layers of color, dimension, and detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment