Friday, December 8, 2017

Paul's Custom Watercolor Bouquet Painting

This 8"x10" watercolor was commissioned by Paul in October as a gift for his wife. He sent me a photograph of their wedding bouquet on a white chair, which I referred to while I completed this painting. He requested that the chair also be included in the final artwork.

(You can order your own custom bouquet painting in my Etsy shop!)

First, I traced the bouquet onto watercolor paper lightly with graphite pencil, then used masking tape to tape it to my art table, to help keep the paper flat while I painted.





I started with light watercolor layers, especially on the white chair, which basically only had this light first layer (and a bit of white acrylic added later).





Then I started adding darker, deeper colors to fill out the bouquet.






I went through with white acrylic and lightened up a few places in the bouquet that needed it, adding in a few white flowers back in that I had accidentally painted too green/too dark. I also used the white acrylic paint to clean up some of the edge of the white chair, or to lighten parts of the chair that looked too dark.





Once the white acrylic was dry, I added some more watercolor details on top, for the light green/white flowers.





Here is the finished painting. The original photograph is on the left and my painting on the right.

Most of my bouquet watercolors are actually done on 9"x12" watercolor paper, even though the Etsy listing calls it 8"x10" - because the actually art on the paper is no more than 8"x10", so that it can be matted/framed at 8"x10" size.








If you would like to purchase your own custom watercolor bouquet, check out this listing in my Etsy shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment