Sunday, December 3, 2017

Mark's Custom Watercolor Bouquet Painting

I was so busy finishing up colored pencil drawings over the summer and fall that I never had the time to post on this blog about another custom watercolor painting that I finished in July. It was purchased through this listing in my Etsy shop - easily my most popular listing. This year alone I've done six of these custom paintings.

This 8"x10" watercolor was commissioned by Mark as a gift for his wife. He sent me a photograph of their wedding bouquet (and then a follow-up photo once he found the wedding CD with better quality pics on it), which I referred to while I completed this painting.

I traced the bouquet onto watercolor paper lightly with graphite pencil, then used masking tape to tape it to my art table, to help keep the paper flat while I painted.





Then I started adding light layers of color to the painting, using wet on wet (which blends the colors) to get a soft first layer and get the general colors/shapes in place.





After each layer dried, I added another layer on top, starting to add more details.






It was at this point in the painting process that Mark sent me a higher quality image to work with. The colors were also slightly different - the original (blurry) photo I'd been working from had also been darker and more bluish in color. In the second picture below you can see the two source photos side by side - the new photo on the left and the original darker photo on the right (with my painting on the bottom, obviously).








Once the watercolor was finished, I added a bit of white acrylic to the painting as well, to lighten up a few areas that needed it.

Here is the final painting, below:





If you would like to purchase your own custom watercolor bouquet, check out this listing in my Etsy shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment