Saturday, January 27, 2018

Train Map - Custom Graphic Design

My uncle has a model train setup in his basement, complete with railroad tracks, natural features (mountains, rivers, ponds, trees), and little buildings and people. This past Christmas, he asked me to design him a 18x24 map, which he could display on the wall near his train setup. He sent me a rough sketch of what he was thinking, along with a list of town names or important stops along the route, and some picture of his setup for inspiration.

Since he is into baseball (and the history of it), he gave the towns the names of historic baseball players, and named his fictional railroad company "Cobb Valley Railroad". His favorite colors are orange and dark blue (Detroit Tigers colors), and he wanted there to be more color than on a "typical" (boring) train map - such a green background, and colorful artistic-rendering "snapshots" of certain areas of his setup.

I designed it in Adobe Illustrator and printed it for him at FedEx Office for his Christmas present.

Here is the digital version of the design:




And some detail shots of the "snapshots", track layout, and CV logo I created:






He had a 18x24 black frame he wanted to use, and was so excited about his Christmas gift that he immediately went and got the frame to put his new map in. :)




I am available to create similar custom graphic design posters for other projects, as well! If you'd like to talk to me about your ideas or commission a poster, you can email me at afrownfe[at!]gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment