Friday, February 2, 2018

Mark's (Second) Custom Bouquet Painting

In December, I had the pleasure of creating a second bouquet for someone who'd purchased a custom wedding bouquet painting over the summer as a gift for his wife. Mark and his wife loved the bride's bouquet so much that he commissioned me to create another one - this time of the bridesmaid's bouquet - to be displayed in their home next to the first painting.

(Check out the first painting I did for Mark in this blog post.)

The bridesmaid's bouquet was more colorful than the bride's bouquet (as they often are), with lots of pretty orange/coral/pink shades. I tried to make the style as similar to the first painting as possible, since they were to be hung together, while also being true to the more colorful flowers in this bouquet.

I started by tracing the provided photo onto 8"x10" watercolor paper.





Then I added some light initial washes of color, just to block out where the different shapes were.





I started going in with smaller brushes to add in details, and building up layers of color:










Then, as a final step, I used white acrylic paint to lighten up some areas of the bouquet.




Here's the final painting (on the left) with the photo provided (on the right) for comparison.





I love making these paintings! Not only does it give me a chance to play with watercolors and see lots of beautiful bouquets, but it makes me happy to know that people love giving and receiving these custom watercolors as thoughtful, romantic gifts. :)

Order your own custom watercolor bouquet at this listing in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment