Friday, April 20, 2018

"Ambition" Colored Pencil Drawing

You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

Hollyhock flowers symbolize many things including "ambition," which I chose to use for the title of this 8"x10" colored pencil drawing. I used Prismacolor brand pencils and Canson Mi-Tientes red paper, as well as a source photograph of hollyhock I printed from Google, to draw this piece.

This first picture shows me collecting my supplies. In the upper right you can see the printout of hollyhock I used for reference as I drew.




I made a quick linear outline for how I wanted the flowers placed on the paper.




Then I started lightly coloring in the flowers and leaves.






Once I had that initial layer in place, I started going back through and adding more detail and dimension. I started with the green stems and leaves, which I suspected might be a little tricky to get the shading how I wanted it, given that I was drawing on red paper and green and red are complementary colors. I had to make sure to choose an appropriate green so that it would both show up against the red, and not cause too much visual vibration where it touched red/where the red paper showed through.





Then I went through and added more color, detail, and dimension to the flowers. There are a few different colors of hollyhock in this drawing.








And here's the finished piece! Close-up views show quite a bit of the texture of the Canson Mi-Tientes paper, which I think gives it a nice, rich, artistic quality.





You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment