Monday, April 23, 2018

"Fertility" Colored Pencil Drawing

You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

The next 8"x10" colored pencil drawing in my symbolic flower series is "Fertility" - also on red Canson Mi-Teintes paper. I named it "Fertility" because the flowers are from the pomegranate plant, whose flowers and fruit symbolize fertility in many religions and cultures, in large part due to the vast number of seeds found inside the ripe fruit.

I started, as usual, with a light layer to get the placement of the flowers down. I couldn't find one image I wanted, so I printed out two pictures from Google, and then used them as a reference and combined them to make my drawing.






Once the initial layer was in place, I went through and added more detail and dimension, starting with the group of smaller flowers in the upper right, then working my way to the left, and finishing with the leaves in the lower right corner.







Here's the finished drawing. This paper is larger than 8"x10" size (it's actually 9"x12"), so when it gets matted down to 8"x10" later, it'll be much closer cropped, and there won't be as much red paper visible along the edges.





You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment