Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Floral Alphabet Watercolors - A & B

As I mentioned in my last post, I recently completed 26 small 5"x7" watercolor paintings, one for each letter of the alphabet. Today's post is going to focus on the first two letters - A and B.

I started with an ink outline of the letters, stylized with "stained glass" floral abstractions. I initially got out 8 tubes of watercolor paint to use, but ultimately only used five colors instead, which I then continued throughout the 26 paintings, so they would all have the same color scheme.




I started with a layer of light color. In some places, I let the watercolor leave the outlines of the letters; in others, I kept the color contained to just inside the lines.






Next, I added some pink and yellow paint splatter to each painting.




For the final step, I darkened everything up a bit. I gave the flowers a sort of collage or stained glass look by darkening some segments and leaving other parts very light. Where there were no flowers, I filled in the rest of the letter with dark blue and dark purple to give the letters more overall definition and help the lighter, more colorful florals really pop.









Here are the final paintings, with masking tape removed. I signed each painting very small, to fit with the overall proportions of the 5"x7" watercolors.





No comments:

Post a Comment