Monday, April 6, 2020

"Balance" Colored Pencil Drawing

I completed this 8"x10" drawing at the end of 2019, before the birth of my baby. The flower is an herb called enchanter's nightshade, which stands for, among other things, balance, which is where the drawing's title comes from. I used toned gray Strathmore paper and Prismacolor brand colored pencils.

I started with a light sketch of the stalks, flowers, and leaves, to plan where they would go on the page.






Then I started going through and adding more color, contrast, detail, and dimension. There were little fuzzy "hairs" on the stalks that glowed white in the source photo I was referencing, so I made sure to leave a bit of space between the dark background and the stalks, to imply that fuzz out of the negative space.











The last part I added details to were the little white flowers, since I wanted to make sure to keep them as light colored as possible compared to the rest of the plant.





Here is the finished drawing:








No comments:

Post a Comment