Saturday, May 23, 2020

"Wood Grain" 5x7 Watercolor Paintings

As I teased last week, today I have another set of three 5"x7" patterned watercolors to show you (which I actually painted in 2019 but am just getting around to posting on this blog now).

Because this one uses shades of brown and reddish-brown, I named this trio "Wood Grain."

I started by tracing patterns onto watercolor paper and taping them down to hold the paper flat while I painted.




For the first painting (the one on the left), I used a light orangish-brown earth tone.






For the second painting (the one in the middle), I used a darker brown pigment mixed with orangeish-red and light brown colors.






Finally, for the third painting (the one on the right as I was painting them), I used only the dark brown. I wanted the set to look like a gradient almost, with the light brown on one end, dark brown on the other end, and a transition piece in the middle.





Here's the final set of three paintings:






I framed them in a single frame with a single mat, cut with three openings to accommodate three paintings. Because the fronts of the paintings are unsigned (as I do with all my patterned watercolors), they can be hung in any orientation or direction, horizontally or vertically.






No comments:

Post a Comment