Sunday, May 3, 2020

"Fragility" Colored Pencil Drawing

This 8"x10" colored pencil drawing on tan paper is called "Fragility" because the azalea flowers depicted symbolize fragility (among other things). I used Strathmore toned tan paper, Prismacolor brand pencils, and source photos of azalea flowers from the internet to finish this drawing.

To start, I lightly sketched the lightest parts of the flowers - the white edges of the flower petals. I then lightly colored in the red middles, and added some light greenery to the background.






Once I had my light sketch complete, I started adding depth and detail - particularly the stamen coming out of the flowers, as well as other areas of darker shadows, using a dark red and dark purple colored pencil.







Then I returned to the background, darkening those shadows with dark green, and adding some detail to the green leaves.






Here is the finished drawing. In total, I used 8 colored pencils: white, peach, pink, red, dark red, dark purple, green, and dark green.








No comments:

Post a Comment