Saturday, July 16, 2016

5 Year Anniversary

I can't believe it's been FIVE YEARS already since my husband and I got married.

On the one hand, I feel like I've accomplished so little in that time, compared to what I used to think I would accomplish. If you'd told me at 18 years old (when I first met my husband in college) that at 27 I would be where I am today, I think I would have been a little disappointed.

On the other hand, my 18-year-old self was pretty sheltered, naive, and I don't really care what she thinks (thought?). I'm actually quite happy with my station at the moment - and though I might've once thought I would've accomplished more by now (books published, etc.) I'm not so far off from where I wanted to be, and am well on my way toward getting there. I'm trying.

I'm 27 years old and I've been married five years already. We own a house in Rochester Hills (and have spent the last four years working on home improvements for it to get it exactly how we want), and we have a one-year-old dog, Ginny. That's more than some people can say at 30, or 40 - so I'd say we're doing alright.

Five years ago, when we got married, I designed "logos" for our wedding stationery that I think still encapsulates my artistic aesthetic. Abstracted roses (created by digitally tracing a rose photo in Adobe Illustrator) with added digital "paint splashes."




It's interesting to think of what has (and hasn't) changed over the years. I still love our color scheme (coral & jade green). I still love flowers, Adobe Illustrator, and making digital patterns. I even still love Baskerville italic, the font we used for one of our stationery fonts - especially it's fun, curly ampersand.

But if I were to redo our wedding stationery now, knowing what I do and having more experience, both artistically (with watercolor, with acrylic, with colored pencil) and with regards to graphic design and stationery design in particular, I think I would've done more. I might've used different envelopes, with pockets. I would've made sure the printer got the colors right - we wanted more of a coral, rather than orange. And I might've designed the rose "logos" a little differently, with more of a hand-drawn feel. I did use watercolor and acrylic to paint placemats for the table centerpieces and the card box for the reception, but I could've drawn the flowers in colored pencil, or added a watercolor background - details done by hand, which I then scanned in and printed out digitally.

But even though I might do it a bit differently now, I'm still pretty proud of how everything came together. And that's exactly as it should be.

-

For more images of my wedding stationery, you can visit my old blog, "Ideas by Andrea."

"How I put my artistic stamp all over my wedding":
http://ideasbyandrea.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-i-put-my-artistic-stamp-all-over-my.html

"How I put my artistic stamp all over my wedding - Part 2":
http://ideasbyandrea.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-i-put-my-artistic-stamp-all-over-my.html





No comments:

Post a Comment