Friday, July 1, 2016

Scanning Artwork

One of the things I've been doing lately is taking the time to scan in my artwork. I have a very nice scanner that can accommodate even my 11"x15" watercolors (though unfortunately not much larger than that) and I've been scanning them into my computer at 600 dpi so that I can start making prints of my artwork.

Because so much of my recent artwork is smaller in size anyway (the 5"x7" and 4"x6" colored pencil drawings and watercolors), a lot of people think they're prints rather than the originals. If I were to actually make prints the same size, it would be relatively easy to do, and I could sell them cheaper (which I think would make a lot of people more interested). I could also upload my designs with online stores that print artwork on items like totebags, cell phone covers, pillow cases, etc.

Several months ago when I first started thinking on this idea, I bought some blank, printable notecards at Staples. They're perforated for folding and they have texture, so they're nice quality - but they (theoretically) should work in my HP printer just fine, meaning I could make reprints of my artwork on blank notecards right from home.

Now that I have everything scanned in, that is my next goal - to see what quality prints and notecards I can produce on my own computer/printer, figure out what would be a good price point so that I can sufficiently cover the cost of materials, and start stocking prints and notecards of my favorite artworks in my Etsy shop, at the Paint Creek Art Market in downtown Rochester, Michigan, and anywhere else that I might take my work to try to sell.

Once I have that figured out, maybe I'll do some research into those websites that sell artwork prints on-demand; but one thing at a time for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment