Thursday, January 5, 2017

Mini Door Wreath

One of the items my grandma put on her wish list this holiday season was a small wreath to hang on her door (indoors). She requested that it be less than 12" in diameter, and said that it didn't have to be a Christmas wreath - just something pretty she could use at different times of year.

So I decided to make her one.

I did this for a few reasons: 1) I like making things, 2) most of the wreaths for sale were Christmas-themed and I wanted to get her one that she could use more often, 3) most of the wreaths I found were much larger than 12" in diameter, and 4) most of them were also pretty expensive. It turned out to be a LOT cheaper to buy my own supplies and make one myself.

I bought an 8" wreath ring made of straw, a spool of red-orange raffia, a spool of sheer teal ribbon, a small sprig of plastic pink craft flowers, and a couple packages of pre-made butterfly embellishments. I already had glue at home - I used Elmer's craft spray glue (which turned out to be very sticky and messy and took several hours to rub off my fingers afterward) and "Zots" - sticky glue dots that I peeled off the paper roll they came on and stuck to the items.

Here is my step-by-step process.

First, I sprayed the wreath with spray glue and wrapped the raffia around it.





Then I wrapped some teal ribbon around it. I made sure to let some of the straw wreath show through as well, because I liked the natural look.




I decided where the top of the wreath would be and tied some ribbon at the top to make a look to hang on my grandma's door. I also used some pieces of raffia tied into bows to embellish this ribbon. I stuck the bows on with Zots.




I cut the sprig of plastic flowers into smaller sprigs, then stuck these onto the wreath with Zots. I put most of them in front, but also some along the sides (which will also be visible when it is hanging on a door).






As I final touch, I added the butterflies I'd purchased. I got two packages of three butterflies each - one that was a pink/red/orange/purple color scheme, and one that was a teal/blue/white color scheme.

I also made a few more raffia bows and glued those to the wreath with Zots as well.





Ta da! The finished wreath.




It was definitely messy, but otherwise quite easy. I've been looking for wreaths I could hang on my own door other times of year (I only have a Christmas wreath), and now that I've seen how easy it is, I think I'll have to make some wreaths for myself! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment