Thursday, December 20, 2018

Turning 30

30 is a big one - simply because our society likes base ten and thinks of any age or anniversary ending in zero as "a big one," and not actually because anything TRULY changes. Still, I'm not above such sentimentality, so I've taken turning 30 as an excuse to reflect back on my 20s and make plans for my next decade.

Turns out when you look at an entire decade, it's easy to feel accomplished. You can do a LOT in ten years! My 20s were no exception; they were certainly my most accomplished decade yet, if not likely my most accomplished decade I'll ever have (depending on how you define such things). I experienced many milestones that are universally considered significant in my 20s - as many do - but I also had some great experiences that were meaningful on a more personal level, too. 

My 20s included*:
*a non-exhaustive list

SCHOOL & PROFESSIONAL ADVENTURES
  • Finishing my thesis and earning the thesis award
  • Graduating with highest honors from EMU and earning a double-concentration BFA in Graphic Design and Watercolor, with a minor in Art History
  • Working at EMU Campus Life
  • Working at Charming Charlie
  • Working as a substitute teacher
  • Working as a graphic designer at Temple Israel
  • Working as a freelance custom invitation designer for several weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs
  • Being flown to Denver to be interviewed for L'Art Erotique, a Quebec art TV show
  • Selling my artwork on Etsy and at Paint Creek Center for the Arts
  • Creating artwork commissions for family, friends, and strangers
  • Showing work at EMU art galleries, the Detroit Scarab Club, the Canton Village Theater, the Carr Center, and the Grosse Pointe War Memorial
TRAVEL ADVENTURES
  • Going on a Mediterranean cruise with my soon-to-be-husband's family
  • Honeymooning on the Greek islands of Santorini and Mykonos
  • Taking a road trip out west with friends
  • Nearly annual trips to Virginia Beach
  • Visiting Universal Resort's Harry Potter World in Florida
  • Spending eight days visiting museums and seeing plays in New York City
PERSONAL ADVENTURES
  • Getting engaged
  • Planning a wedding and getting married
  • Buying a house and moving to Rochester Hills
  • Completing lots of home improvement projects, including new bathrooms, patio, roof, siding, insulation, and windows
  • Adopting a puppy
  • Prioritizing self-care and self-esteem building
  • Being diagnosed with diabetes and starting insulin
  • Getting a tattoo
  • Getting pregnant
Of course, there were some not-so-great experiences with the great ones. Some of the items on the list above were challenging times (or led to challenging times) - but I wanted to include those moments as well, because they have helped shape me into the 30-year-old I am. Of course I wish I was never diagnosed with diabetes, or that my first pregnancy hadn't ended in miscarriage - but I can't change those things; I can only change how I feel about them. As for things I DID have some control over, even at the time - things like jobs I worked or decisions I made or paths I pursued: I don't tend to feel regret about my past; I don't tend to think of anything as a "mistake." Instead I romanticize challenges as Things I've Survived, focusing on what I gained or learned from them. If I had my 20s to do over again, I'd probably do it all over again in a very similar, if not identical, way. Sure, there are some things I wish I'd figured out earlier - like how to prioritize and take care of myself more - but I'm getting there. It's all part of my journey, which, being MY journey, I get to do at my own pace.

I started trying to make a list of things I'd like to accomplish in my 30s, but it's hard to think that far into the future. There are some obvious choices for things to put on the list - things I want immediately or soon, and hope to accomplish in the next few years. But then what goals should I make for the REST of my 30s, after I complete those? It's hard to imagine what my goals will be for the years I'm 37, 38, 39... 

But here are my immediate goals and priorities, the things I'm already working towards, thinking about, planning, setting the stage for, etc.:
  • Having artwork shown in more galleries/exhibitions
  • Getting a novel published
  • Getting pregnant again; having children
  • Doing "short vacations" around North America (e.g. returning to Stratford, Ontario for more theater experiences; finally seeing the Tulip Festival in Holland, Michigan; taking long weekend trips to interesting cities around the U.S. I haven't been to yet)
  • Doing more home improvements (e.g. adding built-ins to the living room and/or dining room; renovating the kitchen)
I'm sure I will add so much more to the list as my 30s wear on and I come up with more ideas, more things to pursue.

A lot of people fear turning 30 (or 40, or 50, or 60, or whatever they've decided is their arbitrary designation of Real Adulthood or Old Age), but I'm not one of those people. I'm not immune to the existential anxieties that come from starting a new decade; I just try to find other things to focus on instead. I find things to look forward to, things to dream about, goals to write down. And I also like to send presents into the future to myself - things that can help me get through potentially challenging times. When I was 23, I wrote myself a letter to open on my 30th birthday. I wrote another such letter when I was 26. I sealed these letters in envelopes and put them in my desk drawer; I see them every time I open that drawer to grab a stamp or address label. By now, I've totally forgotten what I wrote, and I'm really excited to read them all again. I am so anxious to see what stupid and wise things I wrote to myself, what questions I wanted to know, and what I was hoping to accomplish by 30 or feel at 30. It will be like rediscovering a lost corner of my mind, it will deepen and bolster my sense of self, and it will contribute to the narrative of my life I am continually writing and rewriting. As a result of those time-traveling letters, then, my primary emotion associated with turning 30 is not anxiety about growing older, but excited anticipation.

So naturally I'm doing it for when I turn 40 as well. Just today I wrote a letter and sealed it in an envelope: "Do not open until your 40th birthday - December 20, 2028!"

No comments:

Post a Comment