Wednesday, August 26, 2020

"Hostility" Colored Pencil Drawing

This 8"x10" colored pencil drawing is (just like the last) on Strathmore black paper with Prismacolor brand pencils. The flowers depicted are tansy, and they symbolize "hostility."

I started by sketching out where the tansy flowers would go on the page, along with some of the texture (in the first couple flowers) just so I could get an idea of how it might look like. Tansy are yellow, but yellow pencil doesn't show up great on black paper on its own, so I started with white, planning to layer yellow in on top of the white later. 



After I had the flowers placed, I sketched in some leaves and stems for the background. Tansy has a really interesting texture, so I wanted to have the leaves large (taking up just as much of the composition as the tansy), so that the two juxtaposed next to each other would really draw attention to the differences in texture.

I then finished coloring in the white underlayer of dots for the tansy.


I added texture to the leaves next, using white and yellow for the highlights, as well as two different shades of green.


I added some red to the leaves in areas of shadow, and then moved on to the tansy, where I colored over the white colored pencil dots with yellow, using red and navy blue for shadows.



Here are some close-ups of the completed drawing:





1 comment:

  1. this is amazing. I recently did a drawing of a beach landscape. Thanks for sharing and I oved the steps and photos.
    Laila
    www.lailanblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete