Thursday, September 3, 2020

"Patchwork Farms" 4x6 Watercolor Paintings

I titled this set of four patterned 4"x6" watercolors "Patchwork Farms" because the orange and green color scheme reminded me of how Midwestern farmland (or forest) looks when peering down on it through an airplane window - like a patchwork quilt of greens and oranges (depending on time of year).

I chose four different patterns (from my collection of patterns I've designed in Adobe Illustrator over the years) and traced them onto watercolor paper. Then I taped them down so the paper would stay flat while I painted.

I purchased several single frames that would fit four 4"x6" paintings in this orientation (with two paintings horizontal and two vertical) - so knowing that I would eventually be putting these four watercolors into one of those frames, I went ahead and taped them down that way to start, so I could see how the final product might look while I worked on each individual painting.





I painted the two reddish-orange watercolors first.









Then I painted the two other watercolors, which I used a mix of green, orange, and red pigment to complete.









Here is the finished set of four paintings - taped down and still drying in the first photo, and framed and ready to hang in the pictures that follow. Because the fronts are unsigned, these abstract paintings can be hung in any orientation, with whichever painting you want in each corner.







No comments:

Post a Comment