Tuesday, April 18, 2017

"Race Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 3

To read about the meaning behind this drawing or the specific symbolism of each flower, visit this blog post.

-

Yesterday's post showed the process of drawing in light outlines of the first dozen flowers; today, I will continue to the last dozen, to round out the rest of the bouquet. Once all 24 flower varieties are in place, I will go back over them all to add more color, dimension, and detail.

After I added in the carnations, I drew graphite outlines for a peony and a pair of chrysanthemums. Then, I lightly colored in the outlines.






Next, I added a pair of orchids to the right of the peony.





I next drew a large chocolate sunflower in the middle of the bouquet, underneath the ti leaf.





Back on the left side of the bouquet, I added in a couple roses.





To the right of the sunflower, I drew a "hen and chicks" succulent, and a bunch of small peruvian lilies.





To the left of the roses, a handful of dark coneflowers went in. Underneath the roses, a trio of asters.






The left side of the bouquet was finished up with hibiscus.





Back on the right side of the bouquet, I drew the final two flowers: cherry blossom, and a large lotus flower.





If you recall back to my picture of my newsprint sketch, I initially envisioned this bouquet like a wedding bouquet, with a bunch of stems tied with ribbon. Ultimately though, I decided to go with a vase of flowers instead. Because of the purposefully wonky perspective I used (so that all flowers would be visible), it didn't make sense to me to have all the stems come together nicely in a thick group that could be held together with some ribbon and held in someone's hands. So instead of a ribbon, I lightly drew in the top of a simple vase. I decided on a glass vase, so that it would be mostly black paper showing through, with just hints of green (the stems), and some reflections. I thought this would be the best way to keep it simple and not detract too much from the flowers.





So here is the completed composition. My initial plan on the newsprint on the left, and the black paper version on the right.




The next step is to go back through everything and add more detail, dimension, and color. The hard part will be keeping dark flowers dark enough and not overdoing them; because I want to show a wide range of "skin tones" in this "Race Bouquet," I need to have very light colored flowers, very dark flowers, and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment