Sunday, April 2, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #28

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 15-28) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

My final "mini drawing" represents my 28th year. I chose to use bells of Ireland and gladiolus to symbolism this most recent chapter of my life.
  • Bells of Ireland: symbol of luck
  • Gladiolus: symbol of strength of character, remembrance, honor, faithfulness, and conviction
First, I drew outlines of the plants on black paper:





I used these two botanical drawings as reference while I worked (I do not own these images; I found them on Google):




Once I had the graphite outline in place, it was time to lightly sketch in the two plants.





The next step was deepening the colors and adding more details. I started with the monochromatic bells of Ireland, using a few different shades of green.





Then I added more color, detail, and dimensionality to the gladiolus flowers.





Here is the final "mini drawing" for Year #28.




I will post more photos of the entire completed drawing in a blog post tomorrow. I decided to add some color to areas of the background, to help tie everything together a bit, and to cover up some of the persistent eraser smudges along the borders. In tomorrow's post you will see the final drawing, including those subtle background colors - but for today, here is the entire drawing so far, with all of the flowers and plants complete!



No comments:

Post a Comment