Sunday, April 23, 2017

"Race Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 4

To read about the meaning behind this drawing or the specific symbolism of each flower, visit this blog post.

-

My new 19x25" colored pencil drawing, "Race Bouquet (Stronger Together)," is coming along nicely! Now that my preliminary sketch/planning is finished, and a lightly drawn in first layer is down on the black paper, it's time to start adding depth and detail by working on each flower individually, looking at my reference pictures for guidance, and blending layers of colors together.

I started with the astilbe on top. As you can see, I used only three colors for this one - a light pink, a slightly darker pink, and white. There wasn't much shading or dimensionality to add here - just a series of lines to represent the thin little branches - so it was a quick plant to complete.






I moved onto the cattails next, which was similarly easy. I used two different shades of yellow-green for the stalks, and three shades for the brown cattails.





The gladiolus required a bit more work, since there were several flowers on each stalk. I used two shades of peach, two shades of orange, and dark red and black for the dark centers of the flowers. Then I used three shades of green in the stalk-like stems and leaves.








I worked on the protea next, using two shades of pink, "pumpkin orange" for some of the shadows, white and cream for the highlights and the lines at the center of the protea, and two shades of green for the leaves around the protea's base.





For the freesia plant, I used two shades of green for the stems, pale yellow and cream for the highlights, three shades of pink, and a dark brownish-red or the shadows, and black to define some of the edges.







The hanging amaranthus on the left side was created with two shades of peach, two shades of orange, a yellow-orange pencil, pale yellow, and black. I used two shades of green and some orange to add color to the leaf.







Those are the first six flowers. I plan to gradually make my way down the rest of this bouquet, flower by flower, in much the same fashion, until they're all complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment