Thursday, May 18, 2017

"Gender Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 2

To read about gender terminology and why gender is a spectrum, visit this blog post. To read about the idea behind this colored pencil drawing and an explanation for the symbolism of the specific flowers used, check out this one.

-

Once I completed my research, decided on which flowers to use, and came up with a plan for the composition of the bouquet, I moved on to the black paper and began drawing. I used Prismacolor brand pencils and Canson Mi-Teintes paper, size 19x25 inches.

I started by sketching in the purple chrysanthemums and lavender sprigs in the center of the bouquet.







Then I drew in the iris and pansies, to create a vertical line of purple flowers down the center of the bouquet. The chrysanthemum and lavender will be pale purple, while the iris and pansies will be darker.







I next added the two pinkish purple flowers to the left - a large peony bloom, and a trio of protea flowers.







To the right of those first purple flowers, I drew the two blueish-purple plants - African violet and a small bunch of carnations.







I added in the pale pink flowers next - lupine and hibiscus.




Below them, I sketched in two gerbera daisies and amaryllis flowers.






These are the first dozen flowers. My next post will show how I sketched in the last dozen (the remaining four pink flowers, as well as the eight blue flowers). After the entire composition is lightly sketched in, I will go back over with more layers of color, building up dimension and detail to make these plants vibrant against the black paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment