Tuesday, May 23, 2017

"Gender Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Process 4

To read about gender terminology and why gender is a spectrum, visit this blog post. To read about the idea behind this colored pencil drawing and an explanation for the symbolism of the specific flowers used, check out this one.

-

My new 19"x25" colored pencil drawing has already been sketched out onto black paper - meaning that it's now time to start adding in details and layering up the color!

I did this step-by-step, focusing on one plant at a time (out of the two dozen total plants). Today's post will share pictures of the first six flowers I worked on in this way, building up layers of colored pencil to add detail and dimensionality.

I started on the left side of the drawing, where the eight pink flowers are. First, I colored in the hollyhock on the far left. For the petals I used white, two shades of light pink, a darker magenta pink, and red and brown pencils for the shadows. I used three shades of green for the stem and leaves.






Next, I worked on the pink geraniums. I used two shades of light pink, magenta, and red for the petals, and then two shades of green on the leaves.





I moved on to the light pink lupine flowers next. I used a light yellow-green, white, two tints of light pink, light peach, and magenta colored pencils.






Next to the lupine flowers are the hibiscus, with similar hues. I used white, light peach, light pink, magenta, red, and two shades of green.





From the light pink flowers, I moved on to the dark pink ones. Here is the snapdragon, created using three shades of green, two shades of red, and light pink and magenta pencils.






For the dahlia bloom, I used two shades of green, a light pink pencil, a reddish pink pencil, a dark red, and a dark purple.





Here is the whole drawing so far, with the first six flowers completed:




Check back tomorrow for step-by-step photos of the next six flowers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment