Friday, May 19, 2017

"Gender Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 3

To read about gender terminology and why gender is a spectrum, visit this blog post. To read about the idea behind this colored pencil drawing and an explanation for the symbolism of the specific flowers used, check out this one.

-

In yesterday's post, I showed how I sketched in the first dozen flowers. Today I'll focus on the last dozen.

Keep in mind that this is just the first layer - the lightly sketching in of each plant, so that I can get the whole drawing down on paper. Then, I will go through and work individually more on each flower, building up layers of color, dimensionality, and detail.

I had four pink flowers still to draw, so I tackled those first. Here are the geraniums and hollyhock:







I next did the last two pink flowers - the dark pink/almost red dahlia, and a couple stalks of snapdragon flowers, in a similar color scheme.






Over to the right of the purple flowers, I added the two pale blue flowers - lithodora and sweet pea.





Next, I sketched in the blue anemone flowers and a bunch of blue azalea.






At the bottom of the bouquet, near the dark purple pansies, I drew in a blue hydrangea plant and a trio of blue cornflowers (aka bachelor buttons).






Finally, I sketched in the dark blue lotus and delphinium.




Here is the first layer finished. You can see how I plan to get the whole spectrum of color between pink (dark and pale pink) and blue (dark and pale blue), with plenty of purple (again, dark and pale purple) in between.




As with my "Race Bouquet," I also added in a vase for the flowers to set in. I added handles to this vase, so it's more of a glass urn or pitcher than the vase in the previous drawing.






I used 13 colors just to get the preliminary sketch down. More colors will be used as I start building up more colors! Check back for future posts to see how this drawing progresses.



No comments:

Post a Comment