Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Charlotte Skyline in Progress (First Layer of Paint)


A couple weeks ago I posted about starting a Charlotte skyline acrylic painting for my sister-in-law, and the process that went into measuring and drawing out the skyline onto the three 22"x28" canvases. I've been working hard on the painting now, and today I'd like to show the step-by-step photos of how I began the layers of acrylic paint.

I had to purchase some more paints for this endeavor (and have since purchased even more, when I started running out of colors I didn't expect to run out of). First, I laid out all the colors I thought I'd use - setting them out on another table, since the three canvases side by side already take up my entire large table that I use in my art studio.




I put down the colors of the sky first, blending colors together as I went to create a looser, atmospheric look. These are the colors I chose for the sky, followed by what my palette (a paper plate) looked like after I was finished brushing the colors onto the sky.





And here is the dark, sunset sky, after that first layer of paint. It was extra shiny while it was still wet.






Once the sky was in place, I started painting in the buildings. I planned to go back and add lots of details (and color) later, so I wasn't concerned with getting the buildings exactly the right color yet. I just wanted them all blocked off with about the right color (or at least the right shade), so that I could tell the buildings apart from each other and have a good foundation to work with.










Now the first layer of acrylic is complete! All of the canvas is covered with at least a bit of paint - even the tops, bottoms, and sides of the canvas (which will be visible if they are hung directly as-is on the wall).

I will post again soon with some more pictures of the next step in this process. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment