Friday, March 8, 2019

Floral Alphabet Watercolors - Y & Z

My last two paintings in this series were (naturally) the letters Y and Z. As with my earlier paintings, I started with an ink outline of the letters and abstract flowers.




Next, I added a light layer of pink, yellow, green, blue, and purple, letting the color "leak" into the background in a few spots to give it a painterly feel.






I then added pink and yellow paint splatter to each painting.




I darkened the blue-violet areas of the letters next, following up with more pink, yellow, and blue on strategic flowers, and more green on the leaves, to give it a stained glass abstract look.







Because I worked on letters W-Z at the same time, they were all finished and drying together. Here are all four paintings, still taped down while they dry.




And here are the last two letters, finally finished! Once they were dry, I untaped them and signed them.







My plan all along with these was to scan them into my computer and use them as designs for the fronts of blank notecards. I always loved buying things with my initial "A" and I thought others might enjoy picking out their initials as well, and seeing their initial printed on blank stationery.

My next blog post will be photos of all 26 finished paintings; the blog post after that will be about the notecard sets I created with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment