Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Do Mats Matter?

I recently spent a bit of money to purchase several standard white mats - 5x7 mats with 4x6 openings for artwork, 8x10 mats with 5x7 openings, and 11x14 mats with 8x10 openings - so that I can include a mat with the purchase of any artwork of those sizes in my Etsy store. I always had mats for my colored pencil drawings, but now I have them for all my small watercolor paintings as well.


3 - 4"x6" Watercolor Paintings by Andrea Arbit (displayed in 5"x7" white mats)
From left to right: Pattern Organza, Pattern Eloise, and Pattern Roya
All are available on Etsy for $29 each: etsy.com/shop/ArtworkbyAndreaArbit


I think the mats help my work look more professional, and give potential buyers an instant understanding of how they could display my artwork in their home (or business). I'm not sure how well that comes across in the photographs on Etsy, but in person the difference is obvious.


5"x7" Watercolor Painting by Andrea Arbit (displayed in 8"x10" white mat)
"Pattern Cobalt in Blue, Pink, and Purple"
Available on Etsy for $39: etsy.com/shop/ArtworkbyAndreaArbit

Especially because most of my small watercolors are edge-to-edge patterns, they look like they could be almost anything without a mat. Are they tiny rectangles for wrapping paper? Dinner placemats or tablecloths for dolls? Coasters? Really wide bookmarks? But as soon as I put a mat on it, it elevates it. Now, immediately, it's obvious that it is hung on the wall, or framed and propped on a bookshelf.


3 - 4"x6" Watercolor Paintings by Andrea Arbit (displayed in 5"x7" white mats)
From left to right: Pattern Valencia, Pattern Aurelia, and Pattern Victoria
All are available on Etsy for $29 each: etsy.com/shop/ArtworkbyAndreaArbit


Plus, the crisp white mats look so fantastically sleek and modern with the pattern watercolor paintings - many of which have a lot of white paper visible, either in the background or the "negative image" of the pattern, if it is the background that is painted.


2 - 5"x7" Watercolor Paintings by Andrea Arbit (displayed in 8"x10" white mats)
From left to right: Pattern Emmeline & Pattern Turina
All are available on Etsy for $39 each: etsy.com/shop/ArtworkbyAndreaArbit

I don't know if including mats will increase my sales on Etsy or not. But if I were to ever take these to an art fair or try to sell them in a store or have them on display in a gallery or library or theater lobby or wherever - anywhere that someone could see them in person - I think the mat does make a huge difference in presentation.

And in the meantime, matting each painting makes them a lot easier to store, and makes sure to keep them flat and protected. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment