Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Why It's So Hard To Get Things Done

Why is it so hard to focus on the art and writing I want to do and actually have productive days?

In one word: Ginny.


Just look at that cute little face!!

Pay attention to me, mommy!



In several more words:

Okay, so I still had a "getting things done" problem before we adopted Ginny. But one of the reasons we adopted her is so we would have a "scape-puppy" - and so I intend to use her that way now. (Like a scapegoat, but she's a puppy. Get it? We're so clever.)

In all seriousness though, reasons for procrastinating include but are not limited to:
- No one holding me accountable for getting shit done, since I work at home on my own schedule
- Making the WRONG decision to wait around until "creativity" strikes and I'm in the mood to work
- Being paralyzed by worries that my painting won't turn out good, etc. - so why is it worth the time and effort that go into it?
- Convincing myself that no one actually cares about my paintings or my writing anyway - even if they do turn out good - and so why is it worth the time and effort that go into it?

Defeatism, basically.

And the only way to combat these things is to try holding myself accountable, try convincing myself to follow a schedule and do the work and put in the time, try telling myself that that's just my low self-esteem talking, and the painting probably will turn out good, and someone out there is reading this blog, and people do find the stuff I create and like it and respond to it - even if they don't respond to me and let me know.

So I try to acquire evidence. Quotes from people who have liked something I've done, sales receipts to remind me that people have bought my artwork in the past, etc. And then, when I get into a defeatist way of thinking, I pull out that evidence and make myself read it to remind myself that my negative thinking has no basis in the actual situation.

And also I play with my puppy. Because she's adorable and makes me happy. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading your blog. As you can see, I'm a little behind, but I will catch up. And I love the paintings that you are working on! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete