Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Well That Was Fast

It's official - I've gotten my first rejection from those query letters I sent out about my novels!


(screenshot of rejection email)


I honestly wasn't expecting a reply so quickly. It's only been a few days since I emailed them out, and most of the agents' websites I've been looking at say it might be 6-8 weeks before they get back to you (if they get back to you at all). I'm trying to be appreciative that this agent replied so fast - I wasn't left waiting around wondering for long! - but a tiny part of me can't help but wonder if that means my story/query letter was unbelievably bad, that the agent was able to make a decision so quickly.

Of course, it's also possible that I've been rejected because of reasons outside my control. This agent's roster was already full of projects like mine, she's decided she doesn't want any more dystopian novels right now, she doesn't like working with series, she doesn't have time to take on another first-time novelist right now, etc. etc.

Whatever the factors that went into her decision, with her reply I have officially passed a threshold. Now I think I won't be so anxious to send out more queries - because I've seen that rejection is survivable. Also, I feel like a real writer, now! Everything I've ever read about being a professional writer says to expect a million rejections before you finally get your "yes" - so with my first rejection under my belt, I'm clearly on the right track to literary superstardom.

#cliches
#positivethinking

No comments:

Post a Comment