Thursday, May 5, 2016

Impatiens and Sunflower Paintings

Two months ago, I posted about six new acrylic paintings I had plans to complete. In that post, you can see the original source photographs, how I manipulated the photos in Photoshop to make them three-tone images, and how I added patterns into the backgrounds of the design.

In another post, I showed how I traced these designs onto acrylic paper so that I could start painting.

Today, two months later, I finally have some more photos to show. This project is taking longer than anticipated - partly because of my new job, and partly because I am also trying to squeeze in smaller art projects in between working on these more time-consuming paintings. In two months, I have finished four of the planned six paintings.

Here are the first two, show in step-by-step photos. Each is 8"x10" in size.

The first one features impatiens:



















The second painting is a sunflower:














I decided to start with the lightest color (yellow-orange), and work my way darker - blue, then purple, then black - because that is what I am used to doing with watercolors, and because it helped me keep my edges nice and crisp between the different layers of color.

I will show photos of the next two paintings tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment