Monday, May 30, 2016

Purple Rose Trio - Colored Pencil Drawing

I recently added "Purple Rose Trio" to my Etsy shop. It is a 5"x7" colored pencil drawing, which comes with a 8"x10" white Crescent mat. I used Prismacolor pencils and Strathmore Artgrain black paper. I used a personal photograph of a purple rose bouquet as my source material, but added more color to my drawing (the roses in my photograph were only a very pale purple - almost white).

It is for sale on Etsy here.

Here is the final product:











And here are some detail shots of the piece:











Here are the step-by-step photos I took while I created this drawing.

I started with a very pale purple pencil called "greyed lavender": 







Then, once I had those highlights sketched, I started to add in layers upon layers of color. First came green and blue for the leaves in the background:


Then a golden yellow for some of the dryer/browner parts of the petals:


Next, I added in some pink:



And blue, because pink+blue makes purple:


Then I used a slightly darker purple to start blending all those shades together:





And I added more highlights on top again with the "greyed lavender" pencil:




I incorporated a brighter, darker pink for the inside shadows, blending it with a darker blue to get purple:


Finally, I used a darker purple-black shade to darker places that still needed darkening:


...And went over those light purple highlights again, to up the contrast against the black paper:




Ta da!

I was very excited with how this piece turned out. Purple and blue are among my MOST favorite colors (as an artist, I really like pretty much any color, but purple and blue especially). :)

I posted several pictures of the process of this drawing on Instagram, where it was very well received:








Don't forget - the original drawing is for sale on Etsy here.



No comments:

Post a Comment