Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Norfolk Rose Colored Pencil Drawing

Another colored pencil drawing I recently completed is "Norfolk Rose," a drawing based on a photograph I took in the famous rose garden of Norfolk, Virginia's botanical gardens.

It is 5"x7" in size, created with Prismacolor pencils on Strathmore Artgrain black paper. It is available in my Etsy store here.

Here is the final drawing:












And here are some detail shots:










I took several step-by-step photos as I was working on this rose drawing, First, I drew the outline. I decided to make the rose slightly larger on my paper than it was in the 5"x7" printout, so that the petals would go to the edges of the paper on all sides.




I used a very pale pink (practically white) colored pencil to draw in all of the highlights of the petals, reserving the dark paper for the darkest shadows of the rose.





Next, I added some green for the few leaves in the background.




I added yellow highlights to the parts of the rose that were starting to yellow/brown in the sun.




Then I started building up layers of pink and red/orange with a few different colors.








I went back through with the palest pink pencil again to lighten up the rose petals more.





I also added some details with darker reds/violets to give the petals some veiny texture.






I've gotten a very positive response on Instagram:








This drawing is available in my Etsy store here.

2 comments: