Thursday, May 12, 2016

Norfolk Succulents Colored Pencil Drawing

My third recent floral colored pencil drawing that I've completed and listed on Etsy is "Norfolk Succulents," which is based on a photograph I took at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens in Virginia.

5"x7" in size, it was created with Prismacolor pencils on Strathmore Toned Gray paper. It is available for purchase in my Etsy store here.

I used only two colors - white and black. I used the white pencil to bring out the highlights of the succulents, and the black pencil to shade in the shadows. The mid-tones I left as the gray paper.

Here is the completed drawing:












Here are some close-ups of the piece:








I took several step-by-step photos as I worked. Here is how I built up the white highlights of the drawing with a white pencil - by starting in the center of the focal succulent plant and working my way out.













Next I went back through with the black pencil in the same way - starting in the center of the focal succulent and gradually adding black.













Once I had all the shadows in place, I went back through again with the white pencil to bring out the highlights even more in contrast.





The response on Instagram has been great!






This drawing is available for purchase in my Etsy store here.

No comments:

Post a Comment