Monday, March 6, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #17

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 15-28) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

I symbolized my 17th year with tansy and purple hyacinth flowers.
  • Tansy: symbol of hostile thoughts, health, and longevity
  • Purple Hyacinth: symbol of sorrow, regret, grief, and pleas of forgiveness
I first drew outlines of the plants on black paper:




I looked at these two botanical drawings for reference while I worked (I do not own these images; I found them on Google):




I lightly sketched in the tansy and purple hyacinth with colored pencil.





Then I layered in more color for the purple hyacinth, starting with a layer of blue, and then layers of adding three-dimensionality to the petals with different shades of purple, light blue for the highlights, and medium blues.







Once the hyacinth (and its stem/leaves) were complete, I moved on to the tansy. I added yellow and pale yellow to brighten them up, and then added some orange and brown for shadows along the bottom edges of each little yellow flower. I also added detail to the leaves.






Here is the entire drawing so far. 17 down, 11 to go! There are 4 more "mini-drawings" in this row, and then seven in the last row.




No comments:

Post a Comment