Friday, March 10, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #19

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 15-28) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

My 19th year is represented by drawings of protea and hydrangea.
  • Protea: symbol of change, resourcefulness, daring, transformation, diversity, courage, hiding thoughts/knowledge and keeping things to yourself
  • Hydrangea: symbol of heartfelt and honest emotions, gratitude at being understood, opportunities for love, a deep understanding between two people, frigidity, and apology
First, I drew outlines of the plants on black paper:




These are the two botanical drawings I looked at for reference while I drew (I do not own these images; I found them on Google):



Once the drawing was in place with graphite, I went in and added a light sketch of color to put everything in place.





I worked on adding detail to the hydrangea next. I colored in the leaves, and then the delicate petals, using several shades of green, blue, purple, and pink.






Then, I finished up the protea, pushing harder with the colored pencils to get richer, more saturated colors.







Here is the whole drawing so far. Only nine more "mini-drawings" to go until the entire "28 Years" drawing is complete!



No comments:

Post a Comment