Friday, June 16, 2017

"Sexuality Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 2

When I say this drawing is a celebration of differences in sexuality, I'm including differences in libido, sexual behaviors, frequency, desire, willful abstinence, asexuality, sexual orientation, and relationships. For more discussion on sexuality (and definitions of related terminology), please visit this blog post.

For a description of the specific symbolism of the 24 flowers used in this drawing, check out this blog post.

-

Now that my newsprint plans are all done, it's time to move on to the final drawing on black Canson MiTeintes paper. Before I jump right into the details of each flower, however, I start with doing a general sketch, laying out the placement of the plants to make sure I have the proportions more or less the way I want them.

Today's post is going to be about sketching out the first dozen flowers this way, using graphite pencil and lightly pressed colored pencil. The harder you press down on a colored pencil, especially on black paper, the brighter and lighter the color becomes; for a rough sketch, then, I use only light pressure. This way, the colored pencil can be somewhat (though not completely) erased if it needs to be.

I started with the color red. I sketched in pencil the outlines of the plants, then started filling those outlines in with color.




Red poppies:





Red tulips:





Red amaryllis:




And light red protea:




I next moved on to the orange section.




Orange roses:




Orange gerbera daisies:





Orange zinnia (the pencil looks yellow in this picture for some reason, but it really was more of a yellow-orange color):




And pale orange lilies:





Finally, I worked on the yellow section.





A large, pale yellow chrysanthemum:




Yellow daffodils:




Yellow freesia:




And a big yellow sunflower:




Here's the drawing so far, with half of the flowers sketched in:




My next blog post will look at the initial sketches of the next three sections: green, blue, and purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment