Sunday, June 25, 2017

"Sexuality Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 6

When I say this drawing is a celebration of differences in sexuality, I'm including differences in libido, sexual behaviors, frequency, desire, willful abstinence, asexuality, sexual orientation, and relationships. For more discussion on sexuality (and definitions of related terminology), please visit this blog post.

For a description of the specific symbolism of the 24 flowers used in this drawing, check out this blog post.

-

Sometimes I wonder if I should come up with more creative blog post titles, instead of just saying "In Progress #6." But then I rationalize that I already spend too much time planning and writing these posts as it is. I could probably just post once, with photos of the finished piece, and everyone would be happy - but if there's at least one person out there who likes seeing these step-by-step pics, I guess it's worth it to show them off. :)

Today's post is all about the step-by-step pics of the yellow section, as well as half of the blue section.

I started with the pale yellow chrysanthemum. Yellow pencils don't always show up super well on black paper, so I put down a layer of white pencil first, and then layered the yellow on top, to make sure the yellow was nice and bright. I added some orange into the shadows, and used the black pencil to define some of the petal edges a bit better. Altogether, I used white, cream, yellow, orange, "artichoke" (which is that ugly sort of dark yellow-green pencil in the middle), two shades of green, and black.





The next yellow flowers I tackled were the daffodils. I used white, cream, yellow, orange, green, brown, and black pencils.





For the yellow freesia, I used white, cream, yellow, and yellow-orange. For the stems and leaves, "apple green."





The bright yellow sunflower needed cream, yellow, yellow-orange, orange, yellow-green, light green, and black pencils.





Once the yellow section was complete, I moved on to the blue flowers. I did this simply because I'm used to working left to right (being right handed), and I didn't want to smudge the completed flowers while I worked on the next ones.

These little pale blue forget-me-nots used two shades of light purple, two shades of light blue, a medium blue, two shades of green, and yellow and orange for the centers of the flowers.




The delphinium stalk was created with four shades of blue and a green colored pencil.






Only six more flowers to complete (plus the large, fishbowl-shaped vase at the bottom of the drawing)! My next post will cover those "in progress" photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment