Wednesday, June 21, 2017

"Sexuality Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 4

When I say this drawing is a celebration of differences in sexuality, I'm including differences in libido, sexual behaviors, frequency, desire, willful abstinence, asexuality, sexual orientation, and relationships. For more discussion on sexuality (and definitions of related terminology), please visit this blog post.

For a description of the specific symbolism of the 24 flowers used in this drawing, check out this blog post.

-

I've finished the planning and preliminary sketches, and I've lightly drawn all the flowers on the black paper. Now it's time to really have some fun with color!

Once again, I started in the red section - this time with the red tulips in the upper left of the bouquet. I used pink for the highlights, three shades of red, and a magenta colored pencil. For the bright green stems and leaves, I used two shades of yellow-green and a light bluish-green.






Then I worked on the red poppies. One of my Prismacolor pencils is actually called "Poppy Red" so I had to use that one! I also used another shade of red, a red-violet, and black. For the stems, I used two shades of green and a pale blue for highlights.





I worked on the red amaryllis next. Because it was right next to the orange section, I threw a little orange in to these flowers to help blend it into the next part of the color wheel a bit. I used two red pencils, one orange pencil, and a pale peach for the flowers, with two green colored pencils being used for the leaves. (That contraption you see at the bottom of the orange pencil is a pencil extender. The pencil's almost gone, and it can be hard to hold the little pencil stubs and get an accurate drawing, so they make pencil extenders to fit your little stubs into so you can hold them easier.)





The final red flower is this pink-red protea. I used two red pencils, three pink pencils, white, and two shades of green.





Here's the red section! Just five more color sections to go.




The first flowers I worked on in the orange section were these two gerbera daisies. I used pink, red, orange, yellow-orange, and black colored pencils to get all the shades in these pretty petals.





Then I moved onto the orange roses. I used peach for the highlights, two shades of orange, and two shades of red for the shadows.






Those are the first six flowers complete! My next post will look at the next six flowers I drew.

No comments:

Post a Comment