Saturday, June 17, 2017

"Sexuality Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 3

When I say this drawing is a celebration of differences in sexuality, I'm including differences in libido, sexual behaviors, frequency, desire, willful abstinence, asexuality, sexual orientation, and relationships. For more discussion on sexuality (and definitions of related terminology), please visit this blog post.

For a description of the specific symbolism of the 24 flowers used in this drawing, check out this blog post.

-

Yesterday's post looked at the black paper sketch of the red, orange, and yellow flowers. Today, I'm moving on the pictures of the green, blue, and purple sections.

I did the purple next, so that I could ensure the general symmetry of the bouquet. I had already completed the yellow section, and purple would be directly across from yellow (as it is in a color wheel).

I drew the outlines of the purple flowers first, then added color, and erased the graphite lines.




A bunch of purple crocus:




A large purple peony:





Purple gladiolus:




And a purple hydrangea ball:





Next, I sketched in where the green flowers would go, as well as the vase. I wanted to do different vase shapes for each of these drawings. The first vase (for the "Race Bouquet") was very small, with a skinny neck. The second one (for the "Gender Bouquet") was wider, and had two handles on the sides. This one is the widest yet, nearly the width of the entire bouquet, and is more of a fishbowl style container.





A trio of bright green button poms:




Green hellebore:




Green anthurium:




And bluish-green succulents:





Finally, I drew in where the blue flowers would go.




Blue forget-me-nots:




Blue sweet pea flowers:




Blue cornflowers (aka bachelor's buttons):





And finally, blue delphinium. Here's the entire bouquet all sketched out:



The next step is to start adding detail and building up layers of color to really get the saturated colors I want. I also think I'll add more red tulips on the top, and maybe fill out some of the sides a bit too, to give it a nice round, full shape.

I'm so excited for the colors in this bouquet - it's definitely going to be the most colorful of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment