Tuesday, June 27, 2017

"Sexuality Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 7

When I say this drawing is a celebration of differences in sexuality, I'm including differences in libido, sexual behaviors, frequency, desire, willful abstinence, asexuality, sexual orientation, and relationships. For more discussion on sexuality (and definitions of related terminology), please visit this blog post.

For a description of the specific symbolism of the 24 flowers used in this drawing, check out this blog post.

-

I have only six more flowers to complete before this 19"x25" drawing is complete! First, I finished up the blue section with the last two blue flowers.

To create the cornflowers, aka bachelor buttons, I used four blue colored pencils, two shades of green, and black.





For the sweet pea, I used five shades of blue, a blue-green pencil, and three shades of green.





One more color left - the green section. I started with the anthurium, using dark green, apple green, light green, spring green, yellow-green, yellow-orange, and white and black.





This trio of succulents needed pale blue, dark green, blue-green, and two medium shades of green.

If you have a good memory, you might remember that my sketch only had two little succulents. I decided to add a third because the top sections - the red and orange especially, but the purple and yellow as well - seemed larger than the blue and green sections, and I wanted to round blue and green out a bit more. Part of the reason is perspective - since I was drawing on a surface, the red and orange were farthest from my eyes, so I probably unconsciously made them a bit bigger so they'd look the same size as the colors closer to me. But then when I held it up vertically, as it will hang on a wall, it was clear that red and orange were a bit too dominant. Another reason is that I had a rather large vase drawn at the bottom of the drawing, which smushed the blue and green sections up a bit. I decided to add a bit more succulent and hellebore to the green section, and also to add some blue and green reflections to the vase to sort of visually extend those colors, so that all six colors looked more equal.





For the hellebore, I used five shades of green, as well as a white, black, and yellow colored pencil. I also added an extra leaf jutting out to the side, to buff up the green section a bit (see comment above).






Finally, I finished with the lime green button poms, which I drew using white, yellow-green, pale green, apple green, and medium green colored pencils.





Check out my next blog post to see the finished drawing in all it's rainbow glory! I really do love the saturated colors in this drawing - they're so cherry and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment